Friday, March 20, 2015

EASY Equity Sticks for Music Teachers

As music teachers, we see hundreds of students each week.  
When I transferred to a new school, I decided to use Equity Sticks to help me learn everyone's names.
I created a number system so that I only had to label 37 sticks instead of a few hundred.

Use the Roster to Coincide with Sticks

Usually, equity sticks are labeled with student names, but that becomes a hassle when children move to and away from the school.  I only create ONE set of sticks for the whole school.   My largest class has 37 kids so I label 37 sticks (front & back, both ends) with numbers 1-37.  

                                 Pull Stick = Student Number = Name!


More positives:
1. It's fun to rattle the can before choosing a name.  It gets their attention.
2. Shows students that you are being fair.
3. When you ask a question, more students pay attention.
4. More students participate, rather than the usual high-flyers. 
5. It's great for team games.  When I split the class into 2 groups, I just pull a stick for a team representative. 

No comments:

Post a Comment